Monday, May 23, 2011

Lazy Cakes, Lazy Politics

This week the city council will consider a proposal from the Mayor that would ban the sale of Lazy Cakes in Fall River. It's not too often that the leader of a city will take a stand against baked goods but our Mayor is THAT kind of leader.

On the surface assuring "Brownie Excellence" in Fall River seems like a good thing. The brownies contain high levels of melatonin and kid friendly packaging. After doing a bit of reading it seems pretty obvious that the brownie's manufacturer is hinting strongly at marijuana laced brownies and that there have already been a few reported incidents with children. Suddenly this seems like a slam dunk, something we can get behind our Mayor on!

Except...

Well for one the packaging specifically says it's not intended for children. It also says it's 2 servings and suddenly the amount of melatonin doesn't seem quite so absurd. And then I walk into a store here in the city and see one of these puppies on the counter and I'm thinking, maybe I should try this and see what it's all about and find out it's THREE DOLLARS!!!

Three dollars for ONE BROWNIE that can induce sleep? WHAT KID IS INTERESTED IN THAT????

Now don't get me wrong I can see, especially after all the media attention (BTW Will you have probably done more to increase sales of this stupid thing than any man alive. There are rumors that the company is going to rename it Flanagan's Fudge..) I can see some teens maybe wanting to see what this is all about and I KNOW that not all shop keepers are going to "catch" underage sales. However, from what I've read I'm not convinced that eating a whole brownie would do much more to your average teenager make them sleep for 12 hours. But personally I see the average teen with 3 bucks to spend more interested in an energy drink than a relaxation brownie. Now if you average teen is interested in a brownie $3 will buy you a whole box of Little Debbie's, and 7-11 has one kick ass Reese's brownie for 1/2 the price!

Still maybe was worthy of some discussion some consideration but that brings me to the thing that bugs me the most about this. Banning brownies is worthy of a press conference but cutting 3.3 million from the school budget, even POTENTIALLY cutting 3.3 million from the school budget isn't worthy of even a little advanced notice? A press release? SOMETHING?

When a bedtime snack is the priority of your elected leadership you know you've gotten your just deserts

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that this is even something they are talking about...brownies? Really? I was pissed--there I said it--pissed when I heard Pat Casey talking about this the other day on WSAR. I don't think it's worthy of their discussion at all. They're worrying about these brownies when there are pot holes all over the city? When they're cutting money from the school department? How many policemen and firemen are still laid off? Really? You're worried about brownies? What's next? Prohibiting the sale of Ramen noodles because of the high sodium content? Don't waste our tax dollars--and that is exactly what pays them all--on something so stupid!

Anonymous said...

Um dude, you left your comment on May 26th according to the time stamp. In the meeting that I watched on Government TV the City Council threw this item out and said they wouldn't even consider spending any time on it on May 24th. Why are you still ranting and raving about it 2 days later as if it something they are considering or spending time on? It's a dead issue unless Flanagan tries to revive it again.

Anonymous said...

Because I obviously didn't read this post until late last night and I obviously didn't watch the City Council meeting on Government TV. I had just heard Pat Casey talking about in on WSAR the day before...so that's why I talked about it.

Incidentally, the bigger issue here is not when I talked about this, it's the fact that it was even brought up by our Mayor--who I voted for by the way so it's not like I'm anti-Mayor Flanagan. That's why I'm actually upset about it--not because of the brownies--I don't care if people buy them or not--but there are some things that are just none of City Hall's business and this is one of them. My feeling is that once they tell you that you can't buy these brownies how soon until they're telling you that you can't buy Ramen noodles because of the high sodium, or Diet soda because of aspartame and so on and so on. Do you not see that it's a form of controlling us? That's what I'm upset about. The more power we give the government, the more they will feel that they have the RIGHT to tell us how to live our lives, from fastening our seat belts right down to what we eat.

I know, I sound like some kind of nut...

Anonymous said...

I say let people buckle up or not buckle up. Let people eat whatever they want and get heart disease. Whatever. It is called evolution and survival of the fittest. Hopefully the people that continue to smoke, eat junk food or not buckle up will die out and not pass on their DNA. We don't need anymore stupid people having more stupid kids, we've got enough of them.

Anonymous said...

That's my whole point--if they want to do those things then they should be able to...you or I don't have to like it or agree with it but it's their life and it's their choice. No one has the right to make those decisions for any of us--least of all the government in any way shape or form.

Anonymous said...

I understand the dangers of second-hand smoke, but those who don't buckle up or eat junk food hopefully will die off?
You are a sick individual.

Anonymous said...

Yeah if you can't make smart decisions like not smoking, buckling up or not eating crappy food then hopefully you die off before you can pass on your dumbass DNA to a new generation of dumbasses.

Vicki said...

What is wrong with you people? You don't have to like other people's decisions, but they have the right to make them without government interference. As long as they aren't hurting anyone else it's nobody's business.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think that anyone who wishes those who don't think like them death is a sick dumbass themselves.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to get off subject, but does anyone know what has become of chowmeinsammich? I truly enjoyed reading his blog, but he has not been active for 4 months now. I know he has had health problems and a couple of surgeries.
I hope he is doing well, and, if so, look forward to reading more of his very interesting blog.