Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Taking the Plunge

This Saturday several supporters of Forever Paws Animal Shelter will join City Councilor Pat Casey and Mayor Will Flanagan for a polar bear plunge in the frigid waters of Mount Hope Bay. The event put together by Casey will be held in her Sandy Beach neighborhood.
 
Now, I think it's a great thing that people want to support a local animal shelter. Personally I don't like jumping into cold water in the dead of Summer so these folks deserve a big hand for doing so in the frosty grip of Winter. Shelters deserve our support and they often provide amazing service to our four-legged friends on very tight budgets. I also understand that Pat has been a big advocate of Forever Paws and this is one of the things that I have admired about Councilor Casey, she is a community activist at heart.
 
The problem is she IS a City Councilor. To have her put together an event that favors one shelter and to include the Mayor and other city officials seems wrong. It seems almost like a city endorsement of one shelter over another. I've been to both shelters and I think both do good work. If Pat wanted to support Forever Paws she should have participated in an event that somebody else put together but since she is the one who put it together I think it should have been to the benefit of both of the city's shelters.
 
Again both shelters do good work and if you're able deserve your support. A quick check shows that you can donate to either shelter from their website.
 
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem is she IS a City Councilor. Let's leave it at that. Pat Casey shouldn't be on the City Council. She has no business being there. Nice lady, good neighborhood leader but not someone cut out to be an elected leader.

Fall River elects too many people lacking brain power to public office and then we wonder why the place is a mess. I wouldn't complain if there was 1 Pat Casey on the City Council but there are multiple members who fit into the stereotype of Fall River being full of uneducated people.

ProudUSARECWife said...

I won't comment on Pat Casey or any of the city councilmen/women since I do not even know who any of them are. However, thank you for posting about this event. I do not want to be dipping into the frigid waters, but I am a huge animal lover who has been without a pet for the past two years. We had to put one of our dogs down, another passed soon after and the third we were not allowed to take with us when we moved to Ohio (could not find place that would allow us to have him in the rental)

It has been two years since we haven't had our pups and we are empty without a dog in our lives. We live in a rental now where we can't have them either. As a prior groomer and boarding salon owner (small one in BFE South Dakota) I have been considering volunteering at a local shelter, even if it is just walking animals and cleaning kennels. I am just afraid of getting too attached.

I hope Forever Paws is able to raise a lot of money at the event.

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with an elected official having a pet charity. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill, much ado about nothing. Does that mean if a councilor supports one particular AIDS or cancer charity in the city that they can't and that they have to find a way to support them all? Seems silly. Reaching really far on this one and no I'm not a huge Pat Casey fan.

Lefty said...

I don't think I'm making a mountain out of anything. I'm just saying she's a city councilor and obviously some of the attention this is getting is because of her position. So, I just wish she had made it a fundraiser for both shelters.

It's not the end of the world that she didn't. I just think Faxon deserves a plug too and some support. Like I said, I've been to both and I think they both do good work.

Anonymous said...

Faxon has been in existence for a long time and has some real heavy money people behind it. Forever Paws on the other hand needs the little people.
Animals have lived at Forever Paws for years and not been euthanized. I wish I could say as much for Faxon.

Lefty said...

Anon,

You bring up a good point. I'm not sure who donates to each, and Faxon has been around longer.

However I think both can use ever dollar they can get their hands on.

I will also say that I know for a fact that animals have lived and been cared for, for years at Faxon too.

Forever Paws may bill itself as a "no kill shelter" but honestly I think both shelters do everything possible to save animals and find them good homes. And what happens when Forever Paws has an animal that has to be put down?