Monday, January 11, 2010

Trash, Garbage, and Vandalism

Trash...

The other day a friend of mine received a new trash container and one for recyclables from the city. The containers were just left in front of each house, giving you a good idea of what trash day will look like. So right off the bat I said to myself, well now what do you do with your old barrels? This is a point of contention with me because I JUST bought new barrels a few months back. So what the heck do you do with your old barrels? I'm also wondering what do you do if you have more trash than what will fit into that one jumbo bin they give you? I DO think the lidded recyclable container is a great idea I can't tell you the number of times I've had to chase milk jugs and cereal boxes around my yard when it gets windy.

The best part is my friend seeing the new containers went and moved his trash from his barrels into the new container ONLY to get a notice days later saying they wouldn't be used for like 2 weeks. All I can say is thankfully this is not summer because he's not moving it back! It also looks like the notices were all hand delivered, this can't be the most cost efficient way of doing it! Why weren't they just fastened to the container or something?

Garbage...

Last week I'm laying in bed trying to ignore the alarm when I hear a WSAR editorial praising Bob Correia! Honestly I had to shake my head in disbelief and would urge you to go to WSAR's website and listen to it for yourselves. I have to wonder should drug tests be given over there? What absolute GARBAGE! This editorial is praising Bob for 30 years as a State Rep. and for all he tried to do as Mayor. It tries to explain (or excuse) his arrogance and self serving as tough love and a willingness to make difficult decisions.

I would love to take a good hard, honest and fair look at Bob's term as Mayor but for the radio station to serve up this sugar coated crap is enough to make me vomit. How can this editorial praise Bob when he tried to cement nice cushy high paying jobs for his pals at the expense of OUR city at a time when we are in a fiscal crisis? How can they praise him when we find out that he IGNORED the warnings of a budget deficit? Did Bob write this editorial himself?

Vandalism...

This weekend I took a very chilly stroll along the boardwalk. The boardwalk never ceases to amaze me it is truly a city highlight and something to be proud of. So, I was quite discouraged to see signs of vandalism along my path. There was spray paint on sections of the sidewalk and quite a bit on one of the buildings down by Heritage State Park. A plaque was even missing from just outside the Heritage State Park building. Last spring I was sad to see some graffiti on some of the light poles along Davol Street. Obviously the cold weather makes it difficult to clean up this mess but I hope when the warm weather comes we clean this up. You know, there is this whole 'broken window theory' that basically says if you ignore things like this, you're really just saying that you accept it and inviting more of the same. The boardwalk really is a city highlight and it would be a shame to see it ruined for all by the immature actions of a few.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just when you thought WSAR couldn't get any worse, that Bernie Sullivan editorial drooling over Bob Correia was the worst crap to ever hit the airwaves.

Anonymous said...

I remember the old days when a negative comment about WSAR would draw tons of ALL CAPS protests refuting whatever the negative claim was... either Herren is no longer stalking the blogs or people just aren't interested anymore in defending an irrelevant media outlet.

Anonymous said...

THE HURRICANES ISNT RELEVANT YOU MUST BE KIDDING..ALL THE HATERS KEEP HATING ROCK ON HURRICANE LOVE THE HIGHWAY HOME!!

Anonymous said...

the station is obsolete. the only people who will go on to promote themselves are old council members and cronies. nobody cares anymore. people are tired of the same crap. wsar should try to appeal to a younger listener but why dumb down that idea with a middle aged guy who franly sounds kind of creepy? its like listening to my dad trying to be hip..hey.. "whats poppin". there is better and brighter local talent who would pull in a better advertising demographic and attract conversation that does not always come back to last nites keg party and the girl with the big butt.

Anonymous said...

I stopped listening recently, all that kid has to offer are interview after interview and comment after comment from Joe Camara and Linda Pereira. And then I think he sprinkles in some Pat Casey for good measure. There isn't anyone else in the city to interview about city politics that sounds more intelligent? Why is he so far up their butts? What's the connection? Just a bunch of old school hacks that are boring to listen to and dumb as dirt to boot and that's who this station promotes in addition to their old and crotchety sounding editorials. No thanks. Dial changed, tuning out now.