Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Does this make sense?

The Fall River Herald News has a story that is titled, "Fall River City Council reduces residential tax burden".

So I'm reading the article and here's what I get out of it....

The tax rates, if approved, are going up, from a residential tax rate of $8.06 to $9.05 and a commercial/industrial/personal tax of $17.45 to $19.80. This increase is needed because of a decrease in property values.

The Herald states the average tax bill would increase about $32.00.

How is this reducing my tax burden? The reality is my house is worth less yet my tax rate is increasing and my tax bill is going to go up!

In tough times I don't mind my tax bill increasing to allow for essential services and in fact think the city should have increased it slightly more to lessen the burden on businesses. The residential rates will increase by less than $1.00 while the commercial rates will increase by almost $2.50!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Lefty, the headline was misleading. The headline suggested that the Council was reducing the residential tax burden when in fact they were keeping the tax factor at the same shift that it has been for years and my bill and yours actually appear to be going up and not down.

I hope that the Herald News isn't drinking the City Council Kool Aid, these guys and girls have been trying to convince people for years that they are keeping taxes low, they just keep repeating it but it must be working because they keep getting elected.

At least some of the comments on the Herald site are really good like how residents are going to pay $9 per thousand and businesses $19. How is this fair? It has to be discouraging to business owners but most of the public doesn't care, I guess people want a "welfare" city. No jobs, no problem. Give me no property taxes but I want trash pickup and police and fire. That makes sense right? The residents of Fall River feel entitled to get something for nothing. It comes from years of politicians telling them that it's a good thing if the state pays all of our bills and the city can't stand up on its own 2 feet.

Lazurusisus said...

Well...it has long been my opinion that the Herald News is apparently more ignorant than the City's current Finance Director/Treasuer Patten on the workings and meaning of Public Finance. Do not take at face value anything they write when it comes to public Fianance issues because they simply have no clue how it is really suppossed to work. They reprint press releases and/or take self serving, overly simplistic explanations, often times confusing more than elucidating, as in this instance....That's the long way around saying the HN sucks!

Lazurusisus said...

Also....I don't think the levyis up to the full levy limit allowed by law...and if it's not, it will be when the Tax rate is submitted to DR....the City will need the revenue...and the water/sewer rates also have to increase in order to avoid a state takeover...if you've been reqading my blog, I HAVE NOT BEEN WRONG ONCE ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON NOW>>>

Anonymous said...

clasic sterile loser..headline is wrong n story doesn't make sense lisa strattan is chuck gregory in a dress

Anonymous said...

LMAO... I knew our Troll would be ecstatic to have an opportunity to chime in on this thread. It's the first time in months he's actually on topic. But in the end, he's still a little troll.

Anonymous said...

LMAO... I knew our Troll would be ecstatic to have an opportunity to chime in on this thread. It's the first time in months he's actually on topic. But in the end, he's still a little troll.

You're right...the headline is accurate..the story is clear and the editor has NO responsibility for the content of the Sterile Snooze