Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 - The Year in Review

Wow, what a year it has been.

I originally was going to blog from memory some of the things that have taken place in 2009. I then thought maybe I'd spend some time searching the Internet for the events of this past year. This it hit why not do a year in review based upon what I blogged about!

So here it is, the A View From Battleship Cove, year in review!

January 2009

It was a very cold morning that prompted me to ask what we're doing about the homeless. Here it is a year later and I still can't tell you what we as a city are doing to help the homeless. Did the Mayor's task force ever come up with some ideas or solutions? It's a sad thing to have all these empty school buildings that we probably heat to some degree just to keep the pipes from freezing and realize there are people who are just trying to survive outdoors in the brutal cold.

It was also in January that I announced "Lefty for Mayor!" This was something I read in a comment on another blog and had some fun. I stated over and over again that I wasn't running but some people still seemed to take this seriously!

Fall River film maker, Jason Caminiti has his film Pawtucket Rising air on Rhode Island PBS.

February 2009

Mayor Correia proposes drastic (or draconian) pay cuts in light of the City's fiscal crisis. A View From Battleship Cove turns 3!

March 2009

The Abbey Grill closes its doors. The DESE report paints a bleak picture of our school department. Councilor Leo Pelletier changes his mind and states he is now for LNG in Fall River. Will Flanagan officially announces his campaign for Mayor. The rumbling of municipal layoffs begin to be felt.

April 2009

A slow month for me hear at the cove! The New York Times features Ines De Costa. The political season begins to heat up and a brawl on South Main Street makes police layoffs seem like a bad idea.

May 2009

Eric Poulin calls for our local delegation to hold a local meeting to explain potential cuts in the state budget. I rant about blogs, bloggers, and commentors. The tragic death of a DPW worker becomes political. A View From Battleship Cove publishes its 300th post.

June 2009

The city begins to make foolish union agreements to reduce costs by 8%. The School Committee submits a bare bones budget just to have the mayor reduce it further. A fire at the Oriental Chow Mein Company shuts down production. Mayor Correia gets into a little fender-bender and then shows how to make a mole hill into a mountain.

July 2009

I find a new favorite spot for seafood. An O Jornal introduces the idea of painting the braga bridge something other than green. The Herald's Marc Monroe Dion obsesses in story after story over what a waste of time it is. Eric Poulin toys with running for city council AND school committee. The FRC blog shuts down. Some questions come up about Bob's pay cut.

August 2009

I reflect a little on the impact of all the budget cuts. We finally see some candidate forums. The loss of Ted Kennedy makes me predict Joe for Oil will be our next senator (oops).

September 2009

Obviously with my bid for Mayor not going so well (see January) I announce "Lefty for City Council!". Bob Correia's bid for re-election isn't going so well either and he finds himself officially voted out of office.

October 2009

Fall River-tastic reports no short sea shipping in Fall River. Is it time to raise the drop out age? I vent about Flanagan over-support. A Cathy Ann victory seems certain!

November 2009

Upon reflection what an odd month! I spent a good deal of time recapping the mayoral election, alas I was wrong on the outcome of that one! The Navy makes "Big John" available, I ask why not Fall River? I defend the cranberry and suggest that maybe it's time we re-examine the need for FROED. At the suggestion of a friend I hype cyber-monday, which results in no sales.

December 2009

So here we are, it's the end of the year. Mayor Correia rewards his loyalists, and returning Councilor Mitchell suggests the need to safeguard against lame duck appointments. It rained on our parade and First Night quietly gets cancelled. Our property taxes are going up, despite the Herald's headline. The upcoming special election puts Fall River into a jam to find a elections official.

27 comments:

Roger Williams said...

I have yet to troll Ron's blog in 2010, but the year is still young.

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about who is ron?

Anonymous said...

McDonald?

Roger Williams said...

Ron Reagan, Lefty's icon. I have it on good authority that they even look the same.

Anyway, I will troll the Gipper, and that crazy Portuguese bitch whatshername - you know, the one who got shitcanned from WSAR? I'm sure I'll remember her name eventually.

Anonymous said...

"Convicted murder Thomas Estep remain in prison for at least three more years."

This is the first sentence of a Sterile Snoozer story.

He "remain" in prison?

Sterile Snooze reporters are writing in ebonics again.

Anonymous said...

You don't understand what the Sterile Snooze say. The parole board say Estep remain in prison until he die

Anonymous said...

Troll.

Anonymous said...

The real trolls are the folks who write nothing other than "troll"

Anonymous said...

Hey Hey Hey! Fat Albert work for the Sterile News!

Anonymous said...

It amazes me that the Herald News has such a hold on your brain. It's like they own you, dude! LMAO Doesn't matter, though. You're just a troll.

Anonymous said...

Is that obnoxious guy still on the airwaves at WSAR? Don't really listen to that station so don't know if he is still around. This guy they had or maybe still have used to stutter, stammer and I think had really bad asthma judging by how heavy he would breathe into the microphone. He sounded like a stereotype of how people from outside of Fall River think we all speak. It's not a good image for our city.

Anonymous said...

Is that obnoxious guy still on the airwaves at WSAR? Don't really listen to that station so don't know if he is still around. This guy they had or maybe still have used to stutter, stammer and I think had really bad asthma judging by how heavy he would breathe into the microphone. He sounded like a stereotype of how people from outside of Fall River think we all speak. It's not a good image for our city.

That's pretty much my point wth the Herald...a paper full of mistakes looks like it's located in a city where no one demands a good paper.

Anonymous said...

The Herald isn't perfect but she's all we got unless you think editorials from a former priest turned Sheriff's lackey announcing how great a mayor Bob Correia was are a form of noble public service to the people of the city. Add to that the station employing former high school basketball stars that still wrestle with drug and alcohol issues and whose better days are behind them and you will see we don't give our kids too much to look up to nor do we care what kind of crap gets spewed over the airwaves.

Anonymous said...

Dude, the paper absolutely owns you. LOL

StuckInDaGulag said...

I don't demand a good paper. My English is barely passable, and if I expected quality journalism, surely the Herald News is too far above me.

This city is full of barely literate morons. I only live here because I am lazy and poor. And this place is good for entertainment. Flee now...

Anonymous said...

On a positive note I believe the newspaper conducts CORI checks before hiring, it appears the radio station doesn't.

Anonymous said...

On a positive note I believe the newspaper conducts CORI checks before hiring, it appears the radio station doesn't.

If the Sterile does that, how did Marc Munroe Dion get a job there?

Anonymous said...

How did Hurricane get a job at WSAR with his criminal record? Marc Dion has no criminal record, Hurricane on the other hand...

Anonymous said...

HERREN HAS NO CRIMINAL RECORD!! HERREN HAS A HUGE AUDIENCE!!

Lefty said...

I'm sorry I didn't get to respond this earlier.

Mike Herren is no saint, AND he'd be the first to tell you that. However to the best of my knowledge he has never been convicted of any crime.

I don't care if you want to criticize his show, the station, or the Herald, but let's keep it civil and refrain from personal attacks.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Is it okay to mention that he was caught in a motel room with hookers and coke? What about that he dated Correia's granddaughter and was sooo unbiased when he praised Correia day after day. How about that he recently called the Fall River Police Department a group of liars for their report on his last incident at his house? Is all that too personal?

Lefty said...

I would say...

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. No

I could change my mind though.

Anonymous said...

Why are they making a big deal about the mayor getting rid of pride city wide for scholarship city ???

The mayor said:

As a result, for the inauguration banner he used the city seal with “Scholarship City” imprinted, and plans to use the official seal on correspondence and other materials.

Lefty said...

All caps, left just after 6...I'm just saying....

Anonymous said...

Everyone hating on the the Hurricane what else is new???These are the same people who said he wouldnt last a yr on the afternoon drive slot..Hurricanes show is a huge success hes smart ,funny,and always on the money

Anonymous said...

Smart, funny and always on the money, sounds like a promo. Barf! Hurri-who? I'd rather listen to nails dragging on a chalkboard.

Eva Williams said...

I understand the feeling when you are lost and you spend some time reviewing some options to act better in different situations. That is not bad but the moment shouldn't last for too long. That's why instead of creating the huge essay that the teacher will be bored to read while checking it, I asked my mom, as a professional writer, how to write a short essay and she advised me some tip. My essay was brilliant in result.