Thursday, October 29, 2009

Political Satire

Back when John Kennedy ran for President it was decided that he needed a snappy, catchy little jingle, something that would stick in people's heads. Well who better to turn to than Jack's friend Frank Sinatra! Didn't Frank have that catchy little hit? Couldn't the lyrics be worked over for a Kennedy commercial? You betcha!

Fast forward 40 some odd years later and here is Will Flanagan running for mayor. He sounds a bit like a Kennedy and he's got that irish last name. Gee, a catchy jingle might be just the thing for a radio ad and since he seems to be trying evoke a Kennedy connection why not use "High Hopes"?

Now recently someone submitted a parody of "High Hopes" and since political satire is practically as much a tradition as elections and since these commercials annoy me to no end I've decided to post it up on Fall River Blog.

At the same time I can't help but notice that Flanagan's newest commercial uses a quote from Robert Kennedy and that Will quoted RFK in yesterday's radio forum. This has led me to attempt a little satire of my own. So, in the style of David Letterman...

Top 10 reasons that I am convinced that Will is taking his comparisons to a Kennedy too seriously.

10. In a recent speech remarked that he was the man who went with “Jackie” Flanagan to New Bedford

9. Has told insiders that Chicago will vote Flanagan

8. This summer when he saw Fall River’s working class enjoying the Taunton River he referred to it as “the Bay of Pigs”

7. Has begun stating in speeches "Ich bin ein Fall Riverite!”

6. Frank Sinatra campaign song!

5. Recently applied for the vanity plate PT-109

4. Has promised to lead Fall River to the “New Frontier”

3. Strange attraction to “Marilyn” Roderick

2. Like Kennedy wears makeup in debates

1. Refuses to vacation in Dallas!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flanagan is no Kennedy. He is just a two-bit wannabe.

Anonymous said...

Very funny, glad to see you use your sense of humor lefty. Will you be putting up other posts and top ten lists or just the ones against Flanagan?

Lefty said...

If anyone wants to submit something I will consider posting it on Fall River Blog.

And yes, taking some pot shots at Cathy is allowed too. I wouldn't be very objective otherwise.

If Cathy inspires a parody or list of her own, I'll be sure to post it.

reality check said...

Lefty, I can say without reservation that writing for Letterman is not in your future.

Lazurusisus said...

THERE WAS A GREAT LUMPTY


WHO SAT ON THE WALL,


HE WAS THE BIG EGG


DOWN AT OLDE CITY HALL


ONE DAY HE DECLARED


TO LAY OFF HIS MEN


THEN RAN OFF TO HIDE


UNDER HIS MOMMY HEN


UNTIL THE SMART VOTERS


OF THAT CITY FINE


DECIDED TO VOTE OUT


THAT EGG'S BIG BEHIND


HIS NAME WAS A HUMPTY


AND DUMPTY AS WELL


AND ALL THE GREAT VOTERS


TOLD HIM GO TO H@LL


HUMPTY DUMPTY SAT ON A WALL


HUMPTY DUMPTY HAD A GREAT FALL


AND ALL THE KINGS HORSES


AND ALL THE KINGS MEN


WOULD LIKE TO RETHINK


THE LAYOFFS AGAIN.

Anonymous said...

Lefty, Your blog used to be a site which I could go to for News that no one else was reporting. It was a tool, and an asset to the community. Sadly, it looks as though it was or is only a tool for Cathy Anne. I am saddened by your lack of objectivity. But it is your site. So do as you may.

Respectfully Submitted,

Dissapointed!

shamrock said...

Brilliant, I am sure this was all a part of Lefty's master plan. Blog for 4-5 years so he could someday back Cathy Ann in a mayoral race.

Anonymous said...

#3 - It's Marilyn Roderick or Marilyn Morin Roderick not Rodrigues!

#1 - Not funny at all, extremely distasteful to mock President's Kennedy assassination.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Shamrock, although I am disappointed in both blogs decisions after lambasting Bob for over a year to chose cathy
I do doubt Lefty set up the blog with that end in mind.

CharlotteDespard

Fear and Loathing in Fall River said...

Anon 3:17. What? Too soon?

Charlotte, I respect you, and we've been on the same side of many issues.

I'm disappointed that you are backing a guy who has no experience, and cannot give a straight answer. He is dodging hard questions. Whoever gets in office, I imagine we will all be checking up on them, and holding them accountable. So let's not fall apart completely here. We all make a great team.

It is funny that everyone puts us up as having endorsed Cathy. All we have ever said is that we are voting for her. The alternative is scary. His lack of knowledge about the city is extremely worrying. In a perfect world we'd have 2 great choices. But unfortunately, we don't.

Lefty said...

Dear Disappointed,

A View From Battleship Cove has always been a platform to express my opinions and my views. I have never expected everyone to agree with them. However I believe after hundrends of posts my objectivity and fairness speaks for itself.

Before 2007, I really had no idea who Cathy Ann Viveiros was. She was only a name that occasionaly came up in a newspaper articles referencing past mayoral candidates. So this blog is hardly a vehicle to promote Cathy Ann.

Lefty said...

Anonymous 3:17

Good catch. I can't believe I didn't catch my own boneheaded mistake. I can't believe none of my proof readers did either. They must all be working for the Herald now.

I'm sorry you feel the Dallas reference was in poor taste.

Lefty said...

Shamrock, Charlotte,

Thanks for the support!

Personally I have no issue with folks supporting Will Flanagan. I assume they have thier reasons. Some of those that I have talked to about it are very intelligent people whose opinions I respect. Sadly, I just can't figure out what they see. I have listened to debates, read articles, websites, radio forums and even reached out to the candidate. I have yet to see anything that makes me feel he is capable of running our city.

I agree with Fear and Loathing, that together we make a great team. People need to remain interested in government, especially their local government. No matter which candidate is elected we need to make sure that they are held accountable.

Anonymous said...

I do understand where you are coming from, I just feel that Bob had 30 years experience and that is not a testimonial or indicator what an experienced candidate will do.

I am willing to take a chance and vote for new people in all the races.

I hope we can all remain cordial and work together because before this divide we did make a good team.

No matter who is elected in any of the races I do plan to remain interested.

CharlotteDespard

Lazurusisus said...

It's all fun and games until someone losses an eye!....OHMYGAWD I've become my dad!

It's not life and death y'all...very important yes, life and death, No!

Be friends, stay friends.

Anonymous said...

Laz and I have called a Truce !!!


CharlotteDespard