Back when John Kennedy ran for President it was decided that he needed a snappy, catchy little jingle, something that would stick in people's heads. Well who better to turn to than Jack's friend Frank Sinatra! Didn't Frank have that catchy little hit? Couldn't the lyrics be worked over for a Kennedy commercial? You betcha!
Fast forward 40 some odd years later and here is Will Flanagan running for mayor. He sounds a bit like a Kennedy and he's got that irish last name. Gee, a catchy jingle might be just the thing for a radio ad and since he seems to be trying evoke a Kennedy connection why not use "High Hopes"?
Now recently someone submitted a parody of "High Hopes" and since political satire is practically as much a tradition as elections and since these commercials annoy me to no end I've decided to post it up on Fall River Blog.
At the same time I can't help but notice that Flanagan's newest commercial uses a quote from Robert Kennedy and that Will quoted RFK in yesterday's radio forum. This has led me to attempt a little satire of my own. So, in the style of David Letterman...
Top 10 reasons that I am convinced that Will is taking his comparisons to a Kennedy too seriously.
10. In a recent speech remarked that he was the man who went with “Jackie” Flanagan to New Bedford
9. Has told insiders that Chicago will vote Flanagan
8. This summer when he saw Fall River’s working class enjoying the Taunton River he referred to it as “the Bay of Pigs”
7. Has begun stating in speeches "Ich bin ein Fall Riverite!”
6. Frank Sinatra campaign song!
5. Recently applied for the vanity plate PT-109
4. Has promised to lead Fall River to the “New Frontier”
3. Strange attraction to “Marilyn” Roderick
2. Like Kennedy wears makeup in debates
1. Refuses to vacation in Dallas!