Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hague not Vague on opposition to LNG

Council Vice President Raymond E. Hague called his colleague “courageous,”
adding, “I’m not saying I agree with him.” The audience laughed. - Fall River
Herald News


If anyone has missed it, Councilor Leo Pelletier caused some shock waves when he announced he was now supporting the Weaver Cove LNG Project. When I read the quote above in the paper this morning, I thought nothing of it, except that Councilor Hague was showing a little wry humor.

This afternoon I heard the last hour of "Hurricane's Highway Home" and heard Mike Herren blast Leo Pelletier for his stance. Herren was also blasting Councilor Hague for his support of the project! Had I missed something? I didn't know that Hague was now supporting LNG! It turns out that Herren was interpreting the same statement from above as support for Pelletier's position and LNG.

Councilor Hague called into the show to say that the Hurricane was misrepresenting his position. Hague went on to say that he thought it was courageous for Pelletier to take such a controversial stance but that he himself did not share that stance. The city councilor said that he had sent an email outlining his record on LNG that Herren could read on air if he wanted. It went unread. The rest of the conversation might have been 'good radio' but it was not constructive and it was not civil.

Lefty's View: There is nothing in Councilor Hague's statement that would lead me to believe that he now supports LNG. Mike Herren may believe otherwise and he's entitled to his opinion, but without proof, it's just his opinion. I give Ray Hague a lot of credit for calling into Herren's radio show to try to set the record straight. He certainly must have realized that he was not going to be treated cordially. In fact, the reason I wrote this post was because whether I agree with him or not, Councilor Hague deserves the right to defend his record and I wanted to give him the chance to be heard and for Fall Riverites a chance to hear him. Councilor Hague's email follows.

Ray Hague's position on LNG in Fall River.

Opposed to LNG since day 1, voted for all anti LNG resolutions

Drafted letter adopted by the city council hand delivered to FERC by Ed Lambert showing unanimous opposition to LNG in Fall River

Sends yearly donation to coalition against LNG

Has been at times the only city councillor to attend public hearings about LNG

As chairman of the public safety committee has held joint meeting with coalition against LNG

Supported all budget request to fight LNG

Continues to oppose LNG in Fall River and will continue to vote in opposition of LNG untill the battle is won

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hague barely makes it in to the city council every two years!! He has wacky ideas! He often opposes thing just to get in the paper. There hasn't been anyone he has agreed with. he needs to go along with his buddy Leo!

Anonymous said...

I completely disagree with Councilor Pelletier and his recent stance on LNG. However,he has a right to his opinion. WSAR affords the Mayor the right and ability to voice his opinions and defend his decisions. This courtesy should be afforded equally to all other elected officials. You may not agree with their opinions but you should always respect the person and the office. I see the attack on air yesterday as WSAR continuing efforts to discredit any potential Mayoral candidate's credability.

Anonymous said...

Herren said you can count on me to fight LNG and I thought maybe for once we were on the same page so I tuned into WSAR yesterday.
and could not believe where he took the LNG argument right-off topic and turned it into
bashing Hague. I was with him going after Leo about his change of heart with LNG but could not believe where he took the argument right-off topic and turned it into bashing Hague instead.

I guess it is my way or the Highway on the highway home.

Charlotte

Anonymous said...

I think Herren makes a valid point. If Hague was firmly against the proposal he should have come out and said so. The words he used give rise to the fact that he may support Leo. Hague is Vague.

FRC said...

City Councilor Hague's record is clear that he does not support LNG.

Just because Leo now supports LNG, let's not draw haphazard inferences that Hague also supports LNG. It is not true.

It is an effort to discredit a potential Mayoral candidate.

Anonymous said...

You have to listen to Hague in order to get the context. If you read the words, they seem different. Watch the meeting and then come back and decide if he is for or against LNG.

I watched it, and he seemed firmly opposed to LNG during the meeting.

Anonymous said...

While I don't want LNG, I actually do agree with Ray Hague that Leo made a courageous decision to talk to these people. He's thinking of the jobs and the tax dollars it can bring to Fall River. I think we should be putting some of these unpopular topics on the table to see if there's a way they can work, it would be foolish not to in these tough times.

I heard Mike on the radio yesterday and I think he was rude, disrespectful and UNPROFESSIONAL to Ray Hague. I thought he (Mike) was absolutely disgusting, and he once again shows how abusive and obnoxious he is. He screamed over Ray Hague's words so you could hardly hear what the Counselor was saying. Not once did Mr. Hague say that he agreed with Leo's decision, not once! In fact he kept trying to explain what he meant to the Hurricane but instead he was literally screamed at and basically told that he was an idiot for what he said. And then of course when he was trying to tell Mike that he hadn't agreed with some of the decisions that Mike's father made--good Lord did Mike absolutely FREAK OUT! "You don't speak my father's name!" "You're not dealing with a little boy here." etc. Grow up Herren. Your little show was pathetic yesterday and I have actually been telling people I think you've been getting better lately? Stupid me!!

What Ray said was that he thought it was a courageous decision on Leo's part to look at this topic. I know that I can respect someone and think they are courageous for taking what he knows will be an unpopular position on a subject. Even I don't agree with them--which Ray Hague said several times he did not and his record proves it--even if I don't agree with them I can think it's courageous.

I guess that Charlotte was right when she said it's my way or the highway on the highway home. Pathetic.

Anonymous said...

LNG has to go somewhere. That is what cities like Fall River are for

Anonymous said...

i also heard the hague phone call with herren. it was an embarrasment. i guess this is the kind of meltdown we can expect from this guy. herren went overboard bullying hague

Anonymous said...

What Herren did to Hague over the airways was an embarrassment. Dosen't Fall River alrady get enough negative press? We need a retarded sociopath like herren on our local airwaves like we need another courthouse.

Anonymous said...

Ray Hague is a joke and sneaky and Hurricane had enogh Ray can dish it out but cant take it..Please

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Why are we still addressing herrens open court cases? Loser, who TF cares?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

and you are talking about and wasting energy on him so WHO is really the loser?Also he has two radio shows ..could you do that .Lefty you are not fooling anyone you let slander ,lies ,and personal attacks against the hurricane stay up forever and soon as his listeners defend him you call it promotion and take it down..the blogs are the least objective and thats not righteous!!

Lefty said...

Anon 9:54,

I agree these comments have gotten off track. I think comments related to the radio show Hague was apart of are fair. I try to stay on top of comments but I can't be online and on the blog 24 x 7.

I don't see the point of mentioning Herren's court case or lack of one here. Particularly if it was something mentioned in posts on another blog.

Anonymous said...

If you dont censor than we will post about Hurricane we are tired of how he is treated and lied about.

Anonymous said...

lmao