Friday, July 25, 2008

Here's the Scoop

Recently (within the last several months), one of my favorite blogs blogged about some great places to get ice cream. Two in particular caught my attention, Simcock Farm in Swansea and Wood's Premium Ice Cream in Westport.

Now Simcock Farm, I am very familiar with. I've been there countless times. It's a great place to go to beat the heat. As the name implies it's a real working farm, with a little farm stand attached to the ice cream stand. So, you can stop by and have some dessert and pick up some fresh veggies for tomorrow's supper. Also the milk from Simcock Farm is sent out to be churned into the creamy delicious ice cream that they sell. Pretty neat huh?

Wood's Premium Ice Cream on the other hand I had never heard of, despite frequent visits to Westport. This was someplace that HAD to be visited! A pleasant drive through the back roads of Westport brought us to Wood's. The conclusion? very good! The premium ice cream at Wood's is from Gifford's of Maine. Oh a few trips, and a belt notch or two later, I've tried Lobster Tracks, and Maine Maple Walnut both of which I enjoyed and Bear Claws, which was a bit too sweet for my tastes. I can tell you that Caramel Caribou is highly recommended so is Peppermint Stick!

Here's the thing, when I read the blog reviews for these two places, Simcock Farm has gotten a 'Good' rating, while Wood's received an 'Excellent' rating. Over here at A View From Battleship Cove, we see things a little bit different. We really enjoyed Wood's Premium Ice Cream, it was a nice country drive and good ice cream, but hands down we thought that Simcock Farm was the better of the two. So Simcock Farm gets '5 battleships' and our 'Excellent' rating and Wood's Premium Ice Cream '3 battleships' and a 'Good' rating.

Sorry Laura, we just don't see eye to eye on this one. However, New England Bites gets our 'Excellent' rating too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, I was wondering what you liked to eat...I mean, wasn't everyone wondering what you like to eat? That's the thing about blogging, it allows every author to focus on him or herself, the most fascinating person in the whole world

Lefty said...

Anon,

You were wondering what I liked to eat? You should have just asked! I would have given you a list.

I suppose I could have made my remarks on the comment section of New England Bites. I thought by sharing it here I could bring a little more attention to two area businesses and at the same time highlight another area blog.

New England Bites said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lefty said...

Well, really Laura who cares what we like to eat? Right?

I have experienced ice in my ice cream at Simcock, but never a freezer burn taste. I wonder if the ice is from the opening and closing of the freezers?