Saturday, August 04, 2007

Killer in New Bedford

The Killer was in New Bedford yesterday but don't be alarmed this "killer" is 71 year old Rock n' Roll legend Jerry Lee Lewis.

Somehow I managed to miss any mention of Lewis' concert at the Zeiterion Theatre until yesterday morning, to late to make any attempt to go.

I'm decades too young to remember Jerry Lee in his heyday but I grew up with my parents listening to music from the 50's and 60's and I've developed a strong liking for the music of Lewis and his Sun label mates and really I much prefer Johnny Cash, Elvis, Roy Orbison and Carl Perkins to the piano stomping Jerry Lee. To me Lewis' singing is much like his reputation, hard and full throttle, with nothing subtle about it. Still as hard as Jerry Lee has lived, and folks that pretty darn hard, he is the last of those Sun legends still alive, still pounding on the ivories, and it would have been a real treat to see him.


**In 2006 Jerry Lee released his latest album "Last Man Standing", it has The Killer pairing with various artists in a collection of duets. It's honky tonk, rockabilly, country, and pretty darn good. Give it a listen here

No comments: