Saturday, June 30, 2007

SouthCoast Photo of the Month

Here it is June's SouthCoast Photo of the month!

I'll be the first to admit this is hardly the best photo but it is a very fitting photo for the month of June!

This simple marker marks the final resting place of Lizzie Borden and although she and her tale is well known to the people of this area I will provide some background for those who may not be familiar with the events that took place on August 4, 1892.

Thursday, August 4, 1892, the day is stifling hot with the temperature reaching over 100 degrees before noon. Suddenly, just after 11 am, a commotion from the home of Andrew J. Borden, No. 92 Second Street! First the maid runs across the street to the home of the family physician and then a neighbor is called on for assistance and then the police are summoned. The stillness of the summer heat is broken, someone has murdered Mr. Borden! A search for Mrs. Borden finds that she too has been murdered in an upstairs bedroom. Both husband and wife have been brutally murdered by an assailant wielding a hatchet.

Andrew Borden is a wealthy man who lives a simple life in modest comfort, but well beneath his means. He is frugal, practical and a shrewed business man who is not particularly likable. The Borden's Second Street residence is a converted two-family dwelling in a rather unfashionable neighborhood who's main advantage is that it is close the Mr. Borden's business interests. The household is a tense place with little affection between the Borden children and the elder Bordens.

The resulting police investigation lead to troubling conclusions. On that fateful morning only Lizzie and Bridget the maid were in the house. Emma had been away on vacation and a visiting uncle was out visiting friends. The house was locked from the inside, had no signs of forced entry and medical examination showed that the murders had been committed hours apart, indicating that the killer had been in the house for an extended time. At the conclusion of the inquest in which Lizzie testified she was charged with both murders. She would go to trial in June of 1893 and would be found not guilty of all charges.

Lizzie and Emma would move from the Second Street to a 13 room home in the fashionable part of the city. The grand home would remain Lizzie's until her death on June 1st 1927, 80 years ago this month, which is why this is June's SouthCoast photo of the month.

Are you an avid picture taker? Do you have a shot you're particularly proud of? Perhaps just a shot that you'd like to share? Submit it here for the SouthCoast Photo of the Month! Send submissions to

No comments: