Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Local Landmark Closing After 70 Years

The Herald News Reports that Mark You is closing its doors after 70 years in business. Apparently the long-time Flint fixture requires extensive renovation to meet current fire codes and owner Gary Tow said he simply can't afford the estimated 40-50 thousand dollars it would take to bring the restaurant up to current standards.

Mark You is an area landmark and it will be a little sad to drive down Pleasant Street some night and see its familiar dragon sign unlit.

5 comments:

Dr. Momentum said...

My grandfather's favorite when he was alive.

I really miss China Royal. I wish I'd been able to take my kids there. Fond memories from childhood.

Lefty said...

I have fond memories of China Royal, my parents would load us all into the car and take us there, and of course as I got older it was the only place open at 1AM where you could sit down and have a decent meal!

Other favorites are Hoy Tin in Swansea, this was THE place for Chinese when I was a kid. We'd go for lunch or take out, and once in awhile China Village, in Somerset.

China Village is long gone but Hoy Tin is still there!

Dr. Momentum said...

Believe it or not, I've never been inside Hoy Tin. I should go there while I still can.

Anonymous said...

I have the greatest childhood memories of Mark You. I will truly miss it. Best egg rolls I've ever had. It's the place my parents went when they were dating and then took us to pick up sunday dinner and get a roll of Life Savers when Gary's parents were behind the counter and he was still learning.

Lefty said...

Growing up in Somerset I only went to Mark You once in a great while. However, you hate to see a local landmark disappear, it's too bad that something wasn't done to keep it around. Maybe it will re-open minus the dining room.

If all else fails, Hoy Tin has pretty good egg rolls.